Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Week 3





AN ARMCHAIR VISIT TO MEXICO



The exercise was acctually pretty straightforward, and included a number of tasks I was already familiar with, but I kept finding new, small improvements I wanted to make, like making the scale bar an even number and resetting the overall scale to a round number that was the right size for the layout. I meant to go back and add background color to make the map more readable, but ran out of ArcMap access and time.


-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This map is still way too crowded. I had a hard time making the urban areas visible, since I wanted the roads to be on top of the cities in case the user wanted to zoom in to see detail. I think it would be better to focus on displaying fewer features (roads or rivers) and at a larger scale. Again, I ha a few inprovements planned, but Arc Map syopped responding at the last minute. I would have especially liked to add background color to make it easier on the eye.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



I really liked this color ramp for the raster elevation layer - the white looks like snow on the mountain tops, and brown and green for the middle levels. I think a map user would find the colors pretty intuitive. I would have liked to change the lowest color to more green than blue, but when I added the blue background the rest really stood out.



No comments:

Post a Comment